Tuesday 5 July 2016

My Top Ten European Countries - Number Nine

9. MONTENEGRO

 

Montenegro has some of the most spectacular scenery I have ever seen and just like many places in central and eastern Europe it is still a country not hot on the agenda of most tourists yet. The key word in that last sentence is 'yet' as I thoroughly believe it is only a matter of time before this becomes a popular holiday spot for many more people. The country's beautiful coastline is only an hour or so away from the now popular tourist spot of Dubrovnik in Croatia, many people already make the journey from there on day trips but once it becomes more developed I think it could become a great destination in its own right.

Like much of this part of the world the strains of conflict are still fresh in the memory and as such development here still has some way to catch up, indeed if the infrastructure was already of a higher standard Montengro would no doubt place higher in my top ten than it does but I can see signs that it will get there. The medieval old town in Kotor is beautifully preserved and has lots of historical points of interest whilst Budva is a similarly well presented seaside town with crystal clear water washing up on its beaches. There are many places to explore inland as well including the capital of Podgorica and it's a country I would love to revisit and explore some more as it was somewhere that certainly impressed me.

Currently the cheapest and most regular flights to Montengro head for Podgorica but EasyJet already fly to Tivat which is located on the Bay of Kotor and a future expansion of this airport could hold the key to the beautiful coastline becoming more accessible. To see more pictures from my trip to Montenegro click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment