Wednesday 20 July 2016

My Top Ten European Countries - Number Two

2. CROATIA


'Why is everything here so beautiful?' - that was what I found myself saying as I wondered around Dubrovnik and drove along the nearby coastline last year. No matter what corner I turned or street I travelled along there always seemed to be something beautiful to behold. Sometimes the view would be of the stunning Adriatic Sea whilst on other occasions it would be of the picturesque towns and villages sculpted into the coastline. What is quite incredible about Croatia is that this stunning coastline stretches for hundreds of miles on the mainland alone not mentioning the many secluded islands scattered in turquoise seas.

I visited in April and at the time it wasn't quite ready for a swim but one can only imagine how beautiful an experience this is in summer and there are so many places to go and do this. Whilst it wasn't baking hot in April the temperature was still mild enough to sit outside in an Italian restaurant with a spectacular sea view, a location that ranks highly as one of the best I've experienced. The restaurant in question was also located near to the entrance of Dubrovnik's beautiful old town. Much of this has been recently rebuilt or renovated and it tells clearly and it's easy to get lost in its many narrow and sometimes steep streets. In a continued reminder of the beautiful coastal backdrop to this town there is a secret bar that exploits this wonderfully. The bar is sculpted into the cliff side and on multiple levels and one could easily sit for hours watching the boats go by.

Croatia hasn't yet developed large resorts specifically targeted to tourists and perhaps that is what appeals to me most as it is yet to still be visited by as many people as go to Greece for example. There are so many places here to explore and the flight network to the UK is quite extensive also and not too expensive. The main limitation for independent travellers is perhaps the distances and routes between towns and cities in Croatia. The public transport network isn't fully developed and where it is developed the travel times are often long due to geographic restrictions. One of the best ways to explore this country I imagine would be to rent a car or if the budget allowed I'm sure sailing along the coast here is a wonderful experience. What is certain is that there is much more I want to explore and it won't be long before I return to do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment